Auto Insurance North Carolina

Auto Insurance North Carolina 

Why didn’t I get a notice that my insurance policy was cancelled?
If canceling your LiabilityMedical Payments and Uninsured Motorist Coverages for nonpayment of premium, your company must mail a notice to your last known address at least 15 days in advance. Sixty days notice is required for all other reasons. The insurance company is responsible for showing proof that the notice of cancellation was mailed, not proof that you did or did not receive it. If canceling any coverage other than LiabilityMedical Payments and Uninsured Motorists or Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists, your company must mail a notice to your last known address at least 10 days in advance.

What does my policy require me to do after an auto accident?
Notify the insurance company of how, when and where the car accident or loss happened. This should include the names and addresses of anyone who is injured and any witnesses. Cooperate with the investigation and Obtain or authorize the insurance company to obtain appropriate documents, medical information and other pertinent records. 

When should I notify my insurance company?
As soon as reasonably possible, while the details are still fresh in your mind.

What if the other driver’s insurance isn’t enough to pay my bills?
Medical – Your Underinsured Motorists (UIM) coverage will provide protection for the difference between the other driver’s Liability Coverage and the limits under your UIM coverage. You can find additional coverage under the Medical Payments coverage portion of your policy. Check with your agent and review your policy to make sure you are adequately covered.
Property Damage – The difference can be covered by your Collision coverage. Again, check with your agent and review your policy to make sure you are adequately covered.

If my only coverage is liability insurance, does my policy cover my medical bills and car repair bills?
No, liability insurance only pays for other people’s injuries and property damage for which an insured driver becomes legally responsible.

The insurance company wants to total my car; I want to fix it. What can I do?
You have the right to keep the salvage vehicle. When you do, the insurance company will deduct the salvage value from the actual cash value. If requested, the insurance company must furnish you with the name and address of a salvage dealer who will purchase the salvage for the amount deducted.

What if the insurance company and I cannot agree on the amount to be paid by my collision coverage?
You can elect to use the appraisal provision of your policy. According to the provision, you and the insurance company will each choose a competent appraiser. The two appraisers will then select an umpire. The appraisers will state separately the ACV and the amount of loss. If they do not agree, they will submit their differences to the umpire. A decision by any two will be binding. The insurance company and the insured will pay its chosen appraiser and bear the expenses of the appraisal and umpire equally.

How can my loan balance be more than my insurance company says my car is worth?
This can occur for many reasons including low down paymentshigh interest rates and poor maintenance. You may be able to purchase a type of insurance called Guaranteed Automobile Protection (GAP). GAP insurance covers the difference between ACV and your loan balance. This is typically only available for new vehicles. Otherwise, you can be held responsible for the difference.

Can an insurance company tell me where to get my car fixed?
No. An insurance company cannot require you to go to a particular repair shop. An insurer can suggest a repair shop. If the company can have the same repairs completed at a lower cost from a different shop, you may be required to pay the difference.

I don’t want to file a claim against my company because it might raise my rates or refuse to renew my policy, but I’m getting nowhere with the other driver’s insurer. Any advice?
An insurance company cannot charge insurance points for a car accident that was not your fault. Your agent can give you advice about your company’s underwriting and how the claim may affect your policy.

If I am in a car accident and someone else is atfault, do I get a rental car while mine is being fixed?
It is common practice for insurance companies to allow a rental vehicle while your car is being repaired. However, there are no statutes or administrative codes that require an insurance company to offer a rental vehicle.

Can the other driver’s insurance company delay paying for my car repairs to pressure me into signing a release on my injury claim?
No. If this situation were to arise, you can file a formal complaint with the North Carolina Department of Insurance.

How long can a company take to pay my claim?
After receiving a claim an insurance company has 30 days to acknowledge the claim. The acknowledgment shall be one of the following, make an offer of settlement, deny the claim, make payment of the claim, or advise the claimant that the investigation of the claim is ongoing. Loss and claim payments should be mailed or delivered within 10 business days after the claim is settled.

Is the company required to give me an explanation of why it denied my claim?
Yes. The insurance company must provide a reasonable explanation of why your claim was denied in relation to the policy language or applicable law


What Happens If I'm Injured in a Car Accident?

Medical Payments coverage, if purchased, can provide some assistance for your doctor and hospital bills, regardless of fault. Bodily injury claims can include doctor bills and hospital bills, laboratory fees, lost wages and pain and suffering that are a direct result of the auto accident. The General Statutes of North Carolina establish no guidelines pertaining to the determination or calculation of any amount owed to you for pain and suffering. Therefore, if you and the insurance company cannot agree on the value of your claim you may wish to seek legal advice.

Auto Insurance North Carolina